Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Princess ( and Me)




This fall, Caileigh and I took a purity class using the "Princess and the Kiss" book and workbook (www.reviveourhearts.com/princess) through our church. We had a wonderful time and so enjoyed having someone else reinforce the ideas of modesty, mental, spiritual, social and physical purity that Scott and I have talked about with Caileigh since she was young. These are by the same company that did "The Squire and the Scroll" that Connor and Scott did last year - which was also great.

They had some great resources talking through modesty issues using guidelines from Secret Keeper. You can check some of them out at www.secretkeepergirl.com/Truth_or_Bare.aspx. This was great as it made us (Scott and I ) make formal some of our more informal rules about dress. We spent time talking with Caileigh about why it's important to be modest in dress and now have a girl who is firmly on board. What's funny is that she now goes through MY closet to make sure everything is appropriate. I have had to save some of my "Daddy date" shirts from her cleansing spree or promise to wear tank tops underneath them.
I think it's been invaluable to have these talks BEFORE she needs them to set the stage for her teen years. I'd much rather introduce these topics before anyone else can. I'm a big advocate of teaching and setting expectations before they are needed and I don't want to wake up to the realization that we have a problem. I like to head these things off at the pass, so to speak.
At the end of the class, we had a "Princess Ceremony"where Scott gave Caileigh a beautiful crown with a heartfelt blessing. We gave Caileigh a "Princess Kiss" necklace and Mr. Vic prayed a beautiful prayer over her. It was followed by a wonderful reception and was a really touching and special night for our not so little girl.

Younger kids love both"The Princess and the Kiss" and "The Squire and the Scroll" as fun picture books and would make great Christmas presents. Older kids (4th or up) would love some special time with Mom or Dad to go through the workbooks.









Categories:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!