Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tests


Connor now and Connor then!

Connor took his 5th grade tests this week. I know! 5th grade and as he is forever reminding me, my little boy will be 10 in two weeks time. 10, you heard me, 10! Amazing! I feel sure I am not old enough to have a ten year old. Anyway, while I was waiting on the second day of test I was reflecting on the fact that being a home school Mom, this test is as much about how I am doing as a teacher as how Connor is as a student. Which may explain why I was more nervous than he was.

It got me to thinking about others things that I hope my children are learning that aren't quite so easy to test. Do they put God first in their heart? Do they care for others over themselves? Are they polite? Do they know what's right in God's eyes? Do they know the Bible as well as they know their math facts? Do they love purely? Do they understand that while we are training them to have first time obedience to us, we're really trying to train them to first time obedience to God? Do they understand that character is more important than academics?

Ahhh, do I understand that character is more important than academics? Academics matter, don't get me wrong, if Connor gets below a 90%, I'll have an issue with that. But do I make academics more important that character and Godliness in my children's hearts and mind? I wish I had a test that would show me the percentage on that.

Categories:

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:32 PM

    You nailed it on the head - it is so much more about our hearts, and whether they belong to Jesus, than anything we could accomplishment in this world. What is so amazing though is that you are proving that children can have both. You are doing a fantastic job, I'm really proud of you.
    Love, Laura
    "The heart of education is the education of the heart."

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!