Friday, November 15, 2013

Making Christmas Memorable

I have two articles published in the Homeschool Handbook. In the current edition, check out my article, "Making Christmas Memorable".  In the July/Aug issue check out "Helping Children Love to Learn".  I find it so exciting to have the privilege to share one of my passions - homeschooling. Thanks to all of you who have read my ramblings through out the years.  Many of these blogs are the first go at many of my seminars and articles so all of you have been my guinea pigs!  I so appreciate all of you.


thehomeschoolhandbook.com or click on the title of the blog to take you to the magazine.
Making Christmas Memorable



To show that I actually do what I say I do, here's a few pictures of our Christmas Unit Study of Hanukkah. Boy, that's an odd sentence, a Christmas Study of Hanukkah.  Anyway, we learned about Hanukkah and celebrated all 8 nights of Light.  We even went to a Hanukkah parade, had latkes, the best and biggest homemade doughnuts I have ever seen and sang Hanukkah songs with a local Rabbi.  It was freezing cold but totally worth it!

I loved lighting and the candles and doing the readings as so much pointed back to the Father of Lights.  We learned that Jesus celebrated the Feast of Dedication ( or Hanukkah) in John 10:22.  Some scholars also believe that John 8:12   "Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.” was spoken During Hanukkah which adds even more dimension and meaning to what Jesus was saying.


Did I also mention that traditionally you make and eat fried foods during Hanukkah?  It's a WONDERFUL  tradition!


Making a Menorah with our Beloved Friends




The Finished Product


 A Lego Menorah and the Hanukkah Parade, so amazing!



 Homemade Applesauce, Potato Latkes and Eggs.  A Traditional Hanukkah Meal - so delicious!



 Playing Dreidel, Dreidel.  Collin is a serious player!
    
Categories: parentingMaking Christmas Memorable

1 comment:

  1. If Hannukah celebrates with a feast of fried food, I'm totally into it. I feel Jewish already just thinking about it. xoxo LOVE the family pic of you guys at night in front of the castle.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!