Sunday, January 04, 2009

Personalities and Kids

We had a great Christmas but the break showed us that we have some parenting issues to work on. While I was doing some after Christmas re-arranging I came across an article I had gotten a while ago on kids personalities and their strengths, weaknesses and their besetting sins. It was an amazing read as I realized that the exact issues we were dealing with were the common sins for each of the kids personalities.

It reminded me that I have to be a student of my children and really understand where they are coming from before I can discipline and train properly.

So for a very quick overview here's a bit of the info for each personality type. They are split into 4 categories:
Sanguine (I in the DISC, Otter)is a total extrovert- high energy and very talkative

Choleric (the D or Lion)is very strong-willed and a "can-do" child

Melancholy ( C or Beaver)is very accurate and detailed

Phlegmatic (the S or Golden Retriever)is very easy going and sensitive

I realize that there can be variations on these types, as in Meyers Briggs and others, but this is a very high overview. What your child is MOST like.

Each of these personalities have their strengths and their weaknesses and knowing what your child is and what they struggle with is a huge parenting help. We can't okay their weaknesses because they are a certain personality but we have to help to strengthen their strengths and weaknesses. Knowing is half the battle.

A great resource for that is "Understanding Your Child's Temperament" by Beverly Lahaye.

I started working on this already and the kids showed a difference in attitude almost immediately.





Categories:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!